Sunday 22 April 2012

Bordering on Romance

I have been asked by some friends and work colleagues to start card classes using Stampin' Up products. The thought is a bit daunting as I have never taught card classes in this format before.  But I am willing to give it a go.  I have attended enough classes over the years to figure out how to manage it.  Organisation is the key, but not one of my strong points.

I have been playing around with techniques and ideas for card sets for these classes.  On this set of cards I tried the "Faux Mother of Pearl" technique.  I designed the card set around one stamp set "Bordering on Romance" as I was trying to show case the stamp set and what could be achieved from the one set.   The sentiments are from the "Sincere Salutations" and "Teeny Tiny Sentiments" stamp sets.  I think these two stamp sets are good additions to any stampers stash, as they have so many sentiments in the set.

The colour scheme for this set is just a little bit blue, using Night of Navy, Not Quite Navy, Whisper White and Old Olive (just a touch of this).  Blue and white go so well together.

The "Faux Mother of Pearl" finish is made by sponging Shimmer Paint (I used Frost White) on Whisper White cardstock with a piece of scrunched up plastic wrap.  I then sponged Not Quite Navy lightly over the cardstock which gave it the blue tone.

The photos do not do justice to the finished technique, but it gives a beautiful shimmering effect.

I have used the Edgelits Dies to create the edging on two of the cards and the scalloped edge on the other.  I love this die set, as the piece that you cutoff for one card can be used as a border for the next card.  This minimises waste and offcuts.  By making 3 cards in a set minimal offcuts and waste are created.

On the 3rd card I used the flower border stamp in the "Bordering on Romance" set and the scalloped Edgelits die to create the scalloped border piece.  The die and stamp do not quite match, but it is close enough to give a pretty finish.  I coloured the daisies with Not Quite Navy and Old Olive Stampin' Write Markers.



No comments:

Post a Comment