Saturday 12 April 2014

Creating Backgrounds - Distressed Embossing

Hi everyone, this is the fifth background that I promised to post (I am finally getting around to posting the backgrounds that I shared with everyone at a recent Stamparoo's get together).


The technique is distressed embossing.  It is a quick and effective technique that gives a terrific finish.  I have used Basic Gray as my base however you can use any base colour, just experiment until you find the colour combination that you like.  Gold on Basic Black is quite stunning.


Step 1 - I started with a piece of Basic Gray cardstock (9cm x 13.3cm) and embossed this with gold embossing powder.  Make sure you cover the entire piece (I dragged the Versamark over the cardstock to get the best coverage). 

Photo

Step 2 - Put the gold embossed piece of Basic Gray into the Beautifully Baroque Embossing Folder and put through the Bigshot.


Photo

Step 3 - This is now the fun part, distressing the gold embossing with the Stampin' Sanding Block.  Sand over the entire piece, this will remove some of the gold from the raised embossing.  Be careful with this step, as if you sand too heavily you will tear the background piece (this can be repaired with a bit of double sided tape on the back - it is distressed after all).  The Basic Gray will now appear through the gold embossing.

Photo


Step 4 - Make your card.  I used a Basic Gray A2 card base, a Basic Black mat 9.5cm x 13.8cm and Basic Black Taffeta Ribbon (this is retired from the Stampin' Up Catalogue but I still have a little left in my stash and it went perfectly with my card).  The sentiment is from the Petite Pairs stamp set, stamped with Basic Gray on Naturals White then punched out using the Large Oval and matted on a Basic Black Scalloped Oval.


Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment